Tips for a Healthy Back
There is a lot you can do to ensure a healthy back well into the future: Take regular exercise e.g. swimming, walking stretching.
- During repetitive tasks take frequent breaks or vary your activity
- Bend the knees when reaching down or lifting, and carry weight close to the body not at arms length. Our backs are forklifts, not cranes! Remember to ask for help with lifting and carrying heavy or awkward items. See how to lift properly
- Watch children's posture. Carrying heavy school bags on one shoulder is a no-no.
- Manage your weight - Increased weight will put extra strain on your spine and body. Plus Good nutrition will help the health of your tissues.
- Make sure you have a good quality and supportive mattress and pillow - your bed could be part of the problem. Read more about sleeping positions
- Do your best to make your workplace more ergonomically friendly. Avoid "computer slump." Sit tall and breathe with the diaphragm. See how to set up your workstation
- Quit smoking.
- Consider your footwear - flatter, more cushioned shoes will decrease strain on your back. Read more about footwear
- Have regular massage or osteopathic treatments to help keep your body functioning well. Make an appointment with us today.